There have been several amendments by the Foreign Ministry (irrational in our mind and our understanding) concerning power of attorneys and official documents which must be certified in relation to the land registry offices and / or governmental offices (though irrational, we must comply with these amendments.)
Please kindly note;
- If you have signed any proxy or power of attorney or official document in Cyprus and it has been certified in Cyprus, the governmental offices will accept it.
- If you have signed any proxy or power of attorney or official document and this has been deposited at the Land Registry office, or used within the Republic of Cyprus prior to 2nd October 2017 the governmental offices will accept it.
- If you have signed any proxy or power of attorney or official document and this was signed abroad and was certified at a Notary Public and has been apostilled, the governmental offices will accept it.
Should the Power of Attorney be signed abroad and certified at the Cyprus Embassy, it will need to go to the Ministry of Foreign Affairs in Nicosia for approval, either by you, your lawyers and / or associates.
Therefore we do suggest that ALL POWER OF ATTORNEY’S and / or other OFFICIAL DOCUMENTS which need certification are either
- Signed in Cyprus by a notary republic.
- Abroad in your home country also by a Notary Republic and apostilled at the Foreign Affairs in your home country to avoid issues.
It is preferable that you do not use the Embassies and or High Commissions of the Republic of Cyprus abroad to avoid further costs for notarization in Cyprus such as Stamp Duties.